Monday, September 28, 2015

"Small changes, BIG difference!" Health Advice from Lego, the Dog

Hello! My name is Lego.  


I’m here to talk to you about some health changes you can make in your life to help you feel  better, while decreasing your risk for chronic health problems like heart disease and stroke. 

If you’re like me, it can be overwhelming to think of all the things we’re supposed to do to stay healthy: never eat my favorite foods, work out all the time…and don’t even get me started on all the confusing information about healthy diets! 

Some people say “no fat,” others recommend low carbs. I’ve heard it’s healthy to be a vegetarian...but I’m a dog, so I don’t know if that’s a good idea. 

All this conflicting advice was enough to make me lose interest in even trying.  

I lose focus and I think maybe it’s just better to let sleeping dogs lie, you know?










But then I realized there’s an easier way to be healthier! I don’t have to give up everything I love or buy anything really expensive or commit my whole day to exercise (which is a good thing, because I am a busy dog)! 

I decided to make just one little change at a time. It’s easy to make a new habit when I know it’s just one small change, but they can add up fast to big health benefits (Wise, 2015; Healthy People 2020, 2015). 







At first, I just committed to drinking more water each day.





The amount of water people (and dogs!) need is variable, but the  Mayo Clinic recommends between 2-3 liters per day for adults (2015). 

It turns out there are added benefits to this little change: by adding more water, people often naturally drink less caffeine and sugary drinks like soda. You might be surprised how fast these calories add up; by drinking water instead, you’ve already started the first step in a more healthy diet as well! That was easy!




After I got the hang of adding water to my day, I decided it was time to try to add a new healthy habit. This time, I decided to add a walk to my evening routine after dinner. It’s hard for me to run, because I’m starting to get arthritis in my paws, but I can handle a half-hour walk in the fresh air, dog-gone it! 
The weather is nice, and—I didn’t believe it when I first heard it—a brisk walk has the same health benefits for your heart as jogging or running (AHA, 2015)! Sometimes I get busy and miss a walk, but for the most part, it’s been an easy habit to start—especially when I asked a friend to start going with me. We encourage each other to keep it up and we have fun socializing at the same time!

As I was getting the hang of daily walks, I realized that there’s a great side-benefit to regular moderate exercise, too! I mean, sure it’s good for my heart and my circulation, and I knew it would help me keep my weight under control, but it also helps me get better sleep! I used to struggle through my day—dog tired!—but now I fall asleep faster and wake more rested, which helps me get through my busy days with more energy and less stress (Sleep Foundation, 2011). 





Finally, I knew it was time to do something about my diet. I had  been dreading this one, because—well, I like to eat. A lot! 


I didn’t feel like I could handle a major overhaul to my eating routine, so I decided to make one step towards healthier eating by filling half my food bowl with produce at mealtime (MyPlate, n.d.). I still get to eat my favorite foods, but by the time I’ve finished my sweet peas, carrots, and green beans, I’m not as hungry, so I eat less of the high-calorie stuff. I feel nice and full, but I’m starting to lose some of my extra pounds and the vet says I’m getting closer to my ideal weight! 

It was really easy to add fresh greens and fruit to my meals—I even started making better decisions at snack time.


When I crave a treat between meals, I stop and consider whether a fresh piece of fruit would satisfy my hunger. I still allow myself a delicious beef chew every now and then, but most days, I find a crunchy apple does the trick. The vitamins are good for me, and the fiber keeps me feeling full longer.



These three little changes I’ve already made are helping me feel better and have more energy, but they can also help you lower your risk for heart disease, stroke, and even some  cancers (AHA, 2015; New York Department of Health, 2012)! 

I’m already starting to think of the new little changes I can add next.

Don’t be overwhelmed by all the impossible-sounding health advice out there—you can improve your health one day at a time with small, intentional decisions. 

Don’t take my word for it, though—after all, I’m just a dog. You can find more information about the little health changes that make a BIG difference at the websites below. 

Turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks! See you next time!




For More Information:

This is a great site for assessing where you are, health-wise. Take a 5-minute survey to see which areas could use improvement to maximize your efforts for long-term health:

This site has 10 easy ideas for starting your own small-change program:

This page has lots of resources to help you get started walking for physical activity:

This is a link to a lot of “top ten” tips to improve your eating, one small change at a time:



References:

American Heart Association. (2015). Walk, Don't Run, Your Way to a Healthy Heart. Retrieved from http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Walking/Walk-Dont-Run-Your-Way-to-a-Healthy-Heart_UCM_452926_Article.jsp

Choose MyPlate. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.choosemyplate.gov

Healthy People 2020. (2015). Determinate of health: Individual behavior. Retrieved from http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health#individual%20behavior 

Mayo Clinic. (2015). Water: How much should you drink every day? Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

National Sleep Foundation. (2011). How does exercise help those with chronic insomnia?Retrieved from https://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/how-does-exercise-help-those-chronic-insomnia

New York Department of Health. (2012). Risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Retrieved from https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/cardiovascular/heart_disease/risk_factors.htm

Wise, J. (May, 2015). Small changes to diet could bring substantial health and environmental benefits, say researchers. The BMJ, 2015(350). Retrieved from http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2330



8 Comments:

At 9/28/2015 9:53 PM , Blogger Shunra said...

Thank you, Lego, those sound like excellent ideas.

Sorry to hear about the arthritic paws, but you're clearly a dog of excellent habits and I think I'll emulate your excellent plan.

 
At 9/29/2015 12:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You are a very good boy, Lego, and I never knew you were so good at citing your sources!

I hear your mama's been soaking your paws recently, so I hope that makes them feel less sore in addition to being less itchy. I've had to be a little gentle with my own paws recently, because too much hanging in the air made them sore. Now that they're feeling better, I plan to get back into the swing of my regular circus workouts. I might take your advice and add some short yoga routines on my off days--it'll give me a good stretch and exercise some of the "pushing" muscles that get neglected when I concentrate on the "pulling" muscles that hold me up on the silks!

 
At 9/29/2015 7:25 AM , Blogger kmm5133 said...

Thanks, Lego! You're such a great role model!

I love your idea of only making one small change at a time to improve my health, it's overwhelming to try and change everything at once! I feel much more capable of making healthy choices, and I owe it all to you!

Best of luck with your paws, I think a doggie pedicure may be necessary!

 
At 9/29/2015 10:02 AM , Blogger Carrie Nelson said...

A "paw-dicure" perhaps? ;)

 
At 9/30/2015 11:04 AM , Blogger carol cox said...

Lego is a smart dog!

 
At 10/08/2015 11:19 AM , Blogger Elisabeth said...

this is the cutest post!! I agree that being healthy shouldnt be a an extreme change! It should become a life style and you can slowly replace old habits with good ones! I want to be an organic, hippie, naturalist, but I am in college and depend on my meal plan! Instead I take it one day at a time, lets start by meditating and going on walks untill that becomes a habit!

 
At 10/19/2015 11:40 AM , Blogger PW said...

This was such a creative post and had a lot of great information! Making little changes at a time are so much easier to accomplish then a huge list of changes that you try to accomplish all at once! It's so easy to feel overwhelmed and discouraged!

 
At 10/22/2015 1:29 PM , Blogger Anonymous said...

Really well done! Very creative, well written, and captivating! You managed to get your point across while utilizing "visual aids" and presenting what could have been very boring information in a really fun manner. This is absolutely crucial when writing for the general audience, who are easily bored (and love pictures of dogs!).
Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home